How might we create an immersive reading experience, that engages and stimulates students?
A mobile application scanner for physical textbooks, that enhances the reading experience for high school students. Students can use Kiwi to collect content, of their physical textbooks. All they have to do is scan the icon on the page with the app. Depending on the icon, the student can highlight, share, add notes, watch videos and experience augmented reality.
DETAILS AND PROCESS
When students are using technology as a tool, they are in an active role rather than a passive role of recipient of information transmitted by a teacher or textbooks. We want students and teachers to use Kiwi to generate, obtain, manipulate or display information from physical textbooks. Kiwi will creatively tailor reading experiences for each student based on what that student needs.
Collaborated with Paola Rangel, Uijun Park and Bowen Li.
Duration: 3 weeks
My team lead my role entailed
1. Research: Insights on high school students and technology. Conducted user interviews with high schoolers to understand the pain points
2. UX: Provided wireframes for chapter quizzes
3. Prototyping: Using Principle to demo the app in front of audience
We all know that high school students have a very short attention span. They would rather play with their phones, gossip about boys and girls and sneak alcohol whenever possible. So telling a high school student to read a chapter of the fall of the Roman empire or the strategic ending of Romeo and Juliet can be hopeless.
During our research we found out that:
- 75% of students say that technology helps them achieve their academic outcomes
- 55% of students say they wish their instructors used more simulations or educational games (Source: securedgenetworks.com)
- Schools and their wireless networks must be ready to support the latest technology
We wanted to create an immersive experience for students. Our ideas took over the entire room, NYC streets, reading experience, and VR. We saw an opportunity in high school students and decided on the reading experience.
Kiwi allows to students to access the most up-to-date information quicker and easier than ever before. Having to integrate technology in education every day, students sure to be interested in learning if they can use the tools they love. In addition, teachers become the encourager, advisor, and coach.